Creamy Herbed Feta Dressing
I love homemade dressings and this one is a melange of several different ones I make regularly. It has a creamy base - much like a herbed ranch dressing - with added crumbled feta. You can use this basic recipe for pretty much any combination of herbs, with or without feta. Enjoy!
Servings 8 servings
- 3/4 cup buttermilk Don't have any buttermilk? Use regular milk and add 1 tsp of vinegar to make it curdle. Voila! Buttermilk substitute.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise more or less to get the thickness you want
- 1/3 cup sour cream OR full fat plain greek yogurt (or mix both!)
- 2 Tbl seasoned rice wine vinegar OR lime juice + zest
- 3 Tbl fresh herbs dill, cilantro, parsley, mint (whatever you've got)
- 1 scallion, very finely sliced optional
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta No need for pricey feta here, the President crumbled is FINE. Get the herbed kind for more flavour! This is also OPTIONAL.
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 1 tsp pasted fresh garlic (3 cloves) OR Indian garlic paste
- S/P to taste Go a little saltier than you think it should be so it adequately seasons the salad.
- Mix everything together in a bowl. Do not over mix the feta, you want the crumbles to be intact (if you are using feta). This makes about 1 3/4 cups or so and will keep for a week or so in the fridge.
This is a really great dressing base. Change it up to suit your tastes! Leave out the feta! Add double the herbs and blend for a Green Goddess dressing. Use lots of lime and cilantro for a Mexican inspired dressing. The sky's the limit!