This is a combo of a couple of recipes I read online plus my leanings towards Asian flavours! I only got one shot of it, sadly. I hope you enjoy!
Sweet n Sour Roast
- Dutch oven
- 1 1-2# Chuck Roast Any kind of roast will work, even pork or lamb
- ½ pound small potatoes halved or 3/4" dice large potato
- 1 med white onion frenched or med dice
- 2-3 carrots 3/4" dice
- 1 leek, sliced white part only optional
- 1 small pack cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced button shrooms are fine
- 1 Red or green Bell Pepper optional, but adds nice colour; I used Korean peppers (green)
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 5-6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 Tbl ginger paste or freshly ground ginger
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbl sesame oil
- 3 Tbl brown sugar
- 1 cup sake sub chicken or beef stock
- Clean the roast of any visible silver skin or large pockets of fat.
- Set oven to 325ºF.
- Season the roast with S/P and set aside while you prep the veg.
- Put the dutch oven on med high heat with 2 Tbl oil. When oil is shimmering, brown the roast on all sides. Set aside roast and turn down heat to medium.
- Add veg to pot and cook gently for about 5 mins.
- Add roast back into pot in the center, nestled in the veg, still on medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, ginger paste and sesame oil and rub into roast.
- Add soy and RW vinegar. Stir everything to get it all coated. Turn off heat.
- Add about 1/3 of the sake or stock.
- Put on the lid and into the oven on the center rack. Set timer for 2 hrs for a 1-2# roast and add 20 mins for every pound over that.
- Check every hour or so to make sure it's not too dry. You may need more liquid than a cup. I suggest alternating stock and sake and finishing with stock so you won't have a raw sake flavour. It's also a good idea to check seasoning about halfway through cooking to see if it's too salty or needs salt. Too salty = add some water; not enough salt, add soy or salt.
- Roast is done when it falls apart with a fork.