I have so totally HAD IT.
I’m not kidding. Just let me tell you:
1. I’m still pissed off about the Salon article not giving me a link.
2. The goddamn Apple job didn’t happen. And all I got was this lame ass form letter. Lame emails with no clue as to why you got cut SUCK.
3. I worked like a fiend last week and all the money went to pay *some* of the piled up bills. Having a great freelance week has the bad effect of making me think that I just may be able to get by without continuing this stupid job search.
4. Michelle and Tim have moved. I miss doing the goth thing with M.
5. The online order from AzureGreen got fucked up. No Witches Datebook for ME. those people are just toooo goddamned laid back. I called to try and return the item I didn’t really want, but the guy sounded so stoned that I decided it wasn’t worth the $10 to hassle with a stoner. Oh, well, I needed a pentagram anyway. :-/ Placed yet another order for the Datebook with the publisher. Maybe, just maybe…
6. I went to yet another LAME interview today. It really pissed me off, so I stopped at the huge Goodwill used book sale and bought 9 books for $9.50 on the way home. Here’s what happened:
So I get up at 8am, get ready and trot my happy ass 40 minutes to the fucking ‘burbs. I walk in and tell a guy who I am, etc. and he says OK, then as I was walking to a chair I hear some harpie say “HERE!” and as I turn around, I see a clipboard hit the receptionist desk. It was the LAME application. I pick it up and fill it out. I toss it back on the desk when I’m done. Oh, yeah, I can see where this is headed. In a minute, here comes the guy I’m supposed to talk to. He says “Hi, I’m Steve”, turns on his heel and sprints down the hall. I trot behind, cursing a blue streak in my head. He gets to his office, and says “Here is my office”. He sits and I sit. There are 2 Macs, and the one I’m in front of is a 9500 running system 7.5.3 (fer cryin’ out LOUD that’s like 3.11 for all you PC people). He says: “That Mac is old and crappy”. I say, “Well, it’s OS needs an upgrade, but it’s a 9500, and that’s better than what I have at home!”. He stares blankly at me and then tells me the exact same shit he told me on the phone: “We make stickers here, blah blah”. Then he stands and turns toward the wall with his framed sticker display, with his BACK TO ME and proceeds to tell me all about his stickers and how they always are perfectly on the “ISO standard”. Whatever the hell *that* is. No eye contact. He then gives me the “tour” of the plate and film room that lasts all of 30 seconds. Then he says he’s going to get the Production Manager–but returns 15 seconds later to inform me that “he’s too busy to talk”. I ask him if he has any questions for me and he again stares blankly and says “Well, my boss has to decide who he wants, so I guess he’ll call you for another interview”. That’s it. He stands, sprints to the front door and doesn’t even thank me for coming out there. I was there all of 15 minutes.
I swear I am NOT making this up. These stupid fucking people think that you have nothing better to do than waste time and gas going all over hell’s half acre to talk to some moron who doesn’t even have the power to hire you in the first place. WHY are companies like this? Is it stupidity? Insensitivity? Moronic managers? WHAT? All *this* for a freaking PART TIME JOB. Give me a break! Are companies so completely self involved that they can’t even conduct a stupid interview? 15 minutes of no eye contact mumbling is what I get? Christ, at least offer me some lube and a cigarette!
THIS is why I have not gotten a part time job. THIS is how applicants are treated, apparently. No courtesy, no connection, no questions about who you are or what you’re about. No feedback about whether you’ll get the idiotic job or not. It’s insane. I am horrified. I feel used. I feel insignificant.
AND for #7, my father has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. This, on top of emphysema, depression and a degenerative bone disease than eats his bones right out of his body. Nice. The good (?) news is that they have caught the cancer early, so it’ll probably be contained.
Oh, yeah, it’s been a stellar week. I feel persecuted by the gods. And very tired.