Italian White Bean and Shrimp Soup
This is a delightful white bean soup. It's light and very flavorful, not to mention full of greens and fiber rich white beans. It's also really easy! I do recommend using shrimp stock if you can; directions on how to make it in the notes.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
- 1 pound Shrimp Med to Large, peeled & deveined, cut in half crosswise if large
- 1 med White onion small dice
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Dried marjoram optional, or use dry basil
- 2 cans Cannelini, Navy or Great Northern white beans 14 oz, mostly drained
- 1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes 14 oz, plain is fine, mostly drained
- 1-2 Quarts Shrimp Stock use +/- to get the thickness you want
- 2 Cups Lightly packed baby arugula rough chopped
- 8-10 leaves Fresh Basil chiffonade, then cross chopped
- 12 leaves Fresh Oregano chopped (optional)
- 1 med Lemon zest and juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Start the shrimp stock first, if you're making your own. I highly recommend this!
- In a large pot, add in about 1 Tbl olive oil and put over med heat.
- Add in onion, garlic red pepper and dried herb. Cook until translucent, do not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes and lemon zest. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add shrimp stock and bring to a simmer. Adjust seasoning. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then turn off heat.
- Add shrimp, arugula, basil, oregano and lemon juice. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a turn of extra virgin olive oil on top and toasted baguette.
Make your own shrimp stock! Just save the shells from shrimp and simmer for about an hour with some salt in a 2 quart stock pot. SO GOOD! Really makes a difference in this soup. As you use shrimp, put the shells in a freezer bag and when you have a bagful, make stock by adding 1 qt of water for every quart bag of shells. Simply simmer for about an hour and add some salt. I make stock and store in the freezer, but if you don't have space, just keep the shells and use for stock as you need it.