Carrot Ginger Soup
This soup can be vegan or dairy - it is delicious either way! I make it with butter and coconut cream, but substitutions are listed. It is easy to make and is a lovely silky smooth soup. I've added other spices you can add for an even more flavourful soup in the notes!
Servings 4 servings
- stick blender or counter blender
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced or chunked
- 1 med shallot, about 2 Tbl, minced sub onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbl Butter I use salted, always
- 2 inch ginger, microplaned Sub 2 Tbl ginger paste
- 2 tsp ginger, powdered optional, but supports the fresh
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme optional, but a classic with carrots
- 1 small can coconut milk/cream (5.5oz) 1/3 large can (14oz)
- 1 tsp brown sugar optional
- salt to taste
- water for cooking and adjusting thickness
- Put a medium saucepan over medium heat and add butter, shallot, garlic and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook 3-4 mins until shallot and garlic are soft.
- Add carrots, ginger paste, ginger powder and thyme and cook a couple of minutes. Add water to just cover carrots. Bring to simmer.
- Simmer with lid ajar until carrots are soft, adding water as needed to keep it at about halfway up carrots.
- When carrots are soft, take off heat and blend with stick or counter blender until smooth. Add more water if needed.
- Add coconut cream and blend. Add more water to achieve desired thickness. Check salt (it will need more) and add brown sugar if you feel it is needed. I did, my carrots were not particularly sweet.
- Serve with crusty bread or naan.
To make vegan, sub oil for butter. This can be made with cream rather than coconut milk. Cilantro works well with this recipe! If you like Indian spices, this soup is delightful with curry or garam masala. If you want a more holiday flavour, add nutmeg and touch of cinnamon. Photo courtesy https://www.masalaherb.com/.