Angela's Red Chili
This is my go-to chili recipe. It's fast and easy!
Servings 8 bowls
- 1 pound ground or minced beef
- 1 small white onion, diced about 2/3 cup
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbl olive oil
- 1 Tbl flour
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika or hot paprika if you like heat
- 1 Tbl chili powder to taste
- 1 tsp dry oregano optional
- 1 can red enchilada sauce I like A La Orden brand
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes I use the Garlic ones
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 Tbl agave optional
- 2 Tbl ketchup for sweetness and deep tomato flavor
- S/P to taste
- In a large pot, put EVOO, onions and garlic over med high heat.
- When onions get soft, add meat and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add flour, cumin, paprika, chili powder and oregano. Add 1 tsp salt. Stir over heat to integrate the spices with the meat and cook out the flour, about 5-6 minutes until meat is about halfway cooked.
- Add enchilada sauce, tomatoes and beans. Stir. Bring back to simmer over med low heat, partially covered.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, add agave and ketchup. Continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Taste to make sure the ketchup is cooked out and check S/P. Turn off heat.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, jalapenos or whatever you like!
This chili will freeze well. I like to make a deeply flavourful chili that people can make as spicy as they wish. I like pickled jalapenos in mine! This is also great over tater tots or even pasta!