Southern Corn Casserole
This is the typical recipe that I've added a couple of things to. It is VERY easy and VERY delicious!
- 9x9 or any 2 quart casserole dish
- 1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 can whole corn drained
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 can diced green chiles 4oz small can, drained
- 1/4 cup onion, very small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbl mayo optional, but gives a little acidity
- 4 oz butter (one stick), melted COOL before adding to mix!
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese optional topping
- Preaheat oven to 375°F and spray baking dish with food release (PAM).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayo and eggs.
- Slowly whisk in cooled butter, then whisk in Jiffy mix.
- Fold in corn (drained!), cream corn, chiles (drained), onion and garlic. Mix until homogenous.
- Pour mix into baking dish and bake in 375° oven, covered with foil, for about 35 minutes. Remove foil, turn up heat to 400°, add cheese if using and cook uncovered for another 10 minutes or so. The casserole will puff up and become browned. It is done when the center is fully cooked. Look for 160-165°F with a thermometer.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.